reede, 26. november 2010

3 months

Soon, soon and 3 months are over.

These months have gone faster and faster with every passing day.

After 3 months in Kenya, I discovered that I have not visited even a single new place and I was really feeling that it is time to go and discover Kenya again. 

So, it was just yesterday morning, when I took my (actually Elen's) backpack and said goodbye to my mud hut and people. Every time right before I start going to the unknown, I feel some kind of small fear and temptation to stay in the place I know and just continue living the comfortable life in the environment that I know.

Most of us in the Western world, we are working all the time to ensure our lives. To have insurance for everything. To make life more comfortable, more perfect. It's like building the wall between us and the real world higher and higher, because the more insured and comfortable we are, the less we want to discover anything new, because it seems dangerous.

Anyway, while already on the road, all the fear seems funny. It feels good to be on the road. It is good feeling to sit in the bus and not to be sure about how the place I am going looks like. It's good feeling to get out of the bus when driver tells you that this one here is the destination. If I do not know what to expect, it makes me to appreciate small things, as well as it makes me somehow vulnerable. I discovered that if I drive my regular and everyday road in Kenya, I often think about my own things and do not look around me, but if I drive a new road, I am opened to everything - new people, new ideas, new surroundings, everything.

The first evening we arrived to Kapenguria, that is called the capital of west pokot. We just drove through the town, because we did not understand that this is the capital town. Few houses - even my home village is bigger :) The evening ended with staying in one of the very few lodgings - it was one of the four rooms behind the "Poa place bar". The noise lasted until the morning, but at least they had good music and I was just sleeping.

In the morning, we walked back to the bigger centre on the main road and passed Tegla Lorupe peace center - She is a pokot woman. Next interesting sight was a HUGE church. Really huge one.

Day continued with the waiting in the matatu. One or two hours I guess. But we were not in a hurry. After we decided that Kapenguria is totally boring and there's nothing that we would not have seen yet, the road onward was a good surprise. Our destination, Ortum was surrounded by uncountable mountains and having all the basic things I could want, even the room for 200 shillings with a great view, socket, network and electricity. And all these mountains. Tomorrow morning I choose one and see how the west pokot looks from the top of this one.

If there's electricity, more stories will be found here also tomorrow evening.

0 Comments:

Postita kommentaar

Toetab Blogger.

Blog Archive

Otsing sellest blogist